Author Topic: Writing on a round base  (Read 1687 times)

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
Writing on a round base
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
I have a job to write a couple's name and wedding date on a honed ceramic piece.  It is a music box on a round base and the writing will need to be written on the curve of the base.  I will somehow need to steady the base so it does not move while I am writing yet move enough to go from one side of the base to the other end and at the same time steady my hand since the writing surface is only 1"  Any suggestions for achieving this would be appreciated.  I will need to write in black.  Any suggestions for the type of ink I should use.  There is only a very small area on the bottom of the piece to test the ink.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing on a round base
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
What about fixing it to a board or upside-down plate with blu-tack or a similar product, and then rotating the board/plate?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
Just checking to see whether I've got the right idea: are you intending to write on the edge of a disc, as it were?  A photo would be really helpful.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
i pictured the writing surface as being perpendicular to the level surface of the desk, so my suggestion would be to steady your hand on the desk - at the corner - and find something to support the base. this shows me writing on a cake pan. i put a blue lid on the black chair just to show that the cake pan was resting on something. the black chair did not show up because it was too dark. i would also try resting the round base on a pillow which would prevent it from rolling - until you wanted to move it.

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
That's a good solution, Jean.  Thanks for the reply.