Author Topic: How Long Can You Use a Nib?  (Read 21843 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: How Long Can You Use a Nib?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
One nib at Johnneal is 1,55 dollar … so, yes, I think 3 for 3,99 euro is ok? The shipping is a bit absurd, but I think if you order more at once it's ok – that's what I do when I order nibs. I don't know any real life store in my city where I could get decent nibs, maybe apart from the Brause 66 EF which seems to be quite common … I order nearly all my stuff online. It's strange but our equipment seems to be so archaic today that few shops sell it!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »
I use a toothbrush and give my nibs a gentle scrub after each writing session. I'm not good at dipping in water/wiping during the writing process though- I'm just paranoid I'll spill the whole container of water... I should do that though!

Sherry
I use a glass ink well.
It is HEAVY and short, so it would be difficult to knock over. 
Of course if you are clumsy like me...  I put the ink well in a small cookie tray, to contain any spills.  I once knocked over a vial of ink ... ARGH !!!!  I went out and got the cookie tray the next day.
Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 12:00:53 AM »
That is such a good idea! I am going to get a small tray for my ink holders! Thank you!  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:17:54 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »
So, what are the symptoms of a pen that should be chucked...

1) Catches too much even though it was okay previously
2) Has been corroded by ink - I think discolouration is a warning
3) Has been worked to the point where it has become too flexible and lost its snap

... and?

It could be useful to post a symptom list somewhere.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
I made a list of nib wear factors and comparisons on this blog post: http://openinkstand.tumblr.com/post/78553642755/dear-schin-i-am-so-glad-i-found-your-valuable-and

Dr. Joe Vitolo wrote about it as well: http://www.iampeth.com under the lessons section, getting started, "The Point" PDF.

A method that Michael Sull taught me was to gently run the nib up your thumb. If it starts to catch in your skin, then the metal has gone too sharp and is probably too scratchy for good use.

If it starts feeling too wonky and splatters more than usual, then perhaps it's time to chuck as well. I keep my nibs as long as I can, but if it can't write a sentence without splattering, that's when I toss em. No point ruining a whole piece just to save a nib past its expiry date!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:16:49 AM by Erica McPhee »
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
Thank you for the resource Schin!

Offline flourishmetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
Today, I switched to a new nib for the very first time! Last night my practice work began looking worse than my first attempts at copperplate. Ink was blobbing. I could hardly distinguish between thicks and thins. Bleeding was everywhere. And I was becoming increasingly frustrated and ready to give up on pointed pen. I came back to it this morning and had the thought to change my nib (Nikko G - my only stock yet). The transformation in my letters is HUGE! No scratching. Letters are delicate. No blobs of ink or feathering ink. Yeah...I'm staying with it. I decided to see what the forum community had to say....thanks for all for sharing your wisdom.

Kim

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
Kim, if you're like me, you will try to hang on to a nib for far too long!  When it starts acting up - scratching, dragging, blobbing, spitting ink, etc. - cut your losses & say, "Goodbye!"  As Schin said, nibs are relatively cheap and there is no reason in the world to ruin a piece just because a $1.50 nib has decided to die!  Do you have a little pair of pliers?  I got a little pair in the jewelry-making section at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  They really help to remove nibs, which can sometimes more or less "rust" into place and put up a fight about coming out!  I also use them to insert nibs into the holder, so as to avoid getting oil from my fingers onto the newly cleaned nib!

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
I made a list of nib wear factors and comparisons on this blog post: http://openinkstand.tumblr.com/post/78553642755/dear-schin-i-am-so-glad-i-found-your-valuable-and

Dr. Joe Vitolo wrote about it as well: http://www.iampeth.com under the lessons section, getting started, "The Point" PDF.

A method that Michael Sull taught me was to gently run the nib up your thumb. If it starts to catch in your skin, then the metal has gone too sharp and is probably too scratchy for good use.

Just stumbling on to this very useful thread. Thanks for all the useful information!

I noticed that despite all my efforts at fastidiously cleaning my nibs that some are starting to rust a bit. Does that mean I should toss them? Or is their some way to extend their lives a little bit longer? I feel like I haven't been using them that much.

Also, I read somewhere that putting a new nib in flame helps "break it in". Is that true? And do you all do this practice?

Thanks in advance for your answers/suggestions!
Janice

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »

Just stumbling on to this very useful thread. Thanks for all the useful information!

I noticed that despite all my efforts at fastidiously cleaning my nibs that some are starting to rust a bit. Does that mean I should toss them? Or is their some way to extend their lives a little bit longer? I feel like I haven't been using them that much.

Also, I read somewhere that putting a new nib in flame helps "break it in". Is that true? And do you all do this practice?

Thanks in advance for your answers/suggestions!
Janice
Regards rust:

Keep you nibs dry (after use, of course) should slow rust formation. Storing then in containers with a little uncooked rice works, if you are in a very humid climate. Iron gall ink will corrode any nib after a while, so you could use less corrosive inks/ gouache/ acrylics  for practice. If you have rusted nibs, you could remove the rust chemically, and if the rust is not near the point, you could ignore it. If the rust is on the tines, especially where they meet, just toss the nib. As a practical matter, I've found it's just easier to toss any nib that needs any work other than keeping it clean.

Regarding the flame--that's just used prior to using the nib for the first time to remove the protective coating. No more than a second or so in the flame, though, or you could ruin the temper of the nib.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
... I read somewhere that putting a new nib in flame helps "break it in". Is that true? And do you all do this practice?

I do not do this, ever.  A match or butane flame burns at a temperature which is ample to draw the temper of a nib and ruin it, and the difference between holding it in the flame for just long enough to get rid of the oil and cooking it is likely to be a matter of very few milliseconds.  Too much of an unnecessary risk for me.

I suck them, which isn't recommended either.   :P  Schin recommends rubbing alcohol (is that what we call surgical spirit in the UK?) which seems like a sensible no-fuss way to clean a new point.

"Breaking in" usually refers to the nib relaxing a bit and flexing more easily.  That will happen naturally with use, but strong iron gall ink helps the process along in my opinion.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
I had to look it up and you're right, it is called surgical spirit in UK, it is used to clean stuff and can be found cheaply in pharmacies. Just be careful not to inhale it and keep it away from fire..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline ElysseA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »
When I broke my first nib (a Hunt 22) it was clear because I'd pressed too hard and the tines separated and it just wouldn't hold ink anymore. I think it's a lot harder to admit that a not-clearly-broken nib is done for, because it's like... maybe today it will behave again? I get strangely sentimental. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who holds on a bit too long.

I started keeping a dipping bowl near me when I got into using goauche and watercolor, and now I will try to keep it up with regular inks! I find that pen white (mine is Ziller) is the most tough to remove from nibs, and I have a little jar of something I bought at Blick for that. But when it's out, I'll switch to rubbing alcohol -- I bet that's cheaper!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
One further thought--When things start to go wrong, like no ink on the upstroke or too thick thins, I immediately suspect the nib might need changing. Simplest way to check that the nib is the problem is to look carefully at it. I use a 10X loupe. Here is picture of two zebra G nibs, the one on the left is being tossed this morning. That dog just won't hunt anymore. On the right, a new one. The old nib is definitely flattened at the tip, and asymmetrically to boot, and the tines are now a bit misaligned as well. Time for the heave ho.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:16:10 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
Thanks Anasazi! The picture was very helpful.

And thanks to all who answered my query!