Author Topic: Different tools for different writing  (Read 13153 times)

Offline KrzysiekS

• View Profile
Re: Different tools for different writing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
In handwriting.

Offline Mimi

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »
Do you have any suggestions of good fountain pens?

I hope I may be allowed to deposit my tuppence worth here, since I have strong views on this.

Very much appreciated! Thank you for the thorough and detailed explanation!
Mimi

Offline James P

• It is a good feeling to be among fellow Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Current Actively Maintained Web Sites and Pages
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »
Rotring 1.1mm Art Pen resharpened and re-profiled to approx. .4mm wide nib:

Rotring 1.5mm Art Pen with original nib -- practice envelope address:

Rotring 1.9mm Art Pen with original nib -- swash Majuscule exemplar:

James

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:50:18 PM by James P »

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
I am not a fountain pen collector or researcher. However, I have had a lifelong affection for English made Mabie Todd & Co. Ltd. "Swan" Fountain Pens which now evoke a great deal of nostalgia for me. I do not possess any great knowledge relating to fountain pens -- manufacturers, types, styles or mechanisms -- not even regarding Swan pens -- but I have owned and used regular iridium tipped nib fountain pens, on and off, for much of my adult life for informal everyday handwriting.

But why just Swan pens for me? It goes back to my boyhood growing up in a small Lancashire Cotton weaving town in north west England during the 1930s. We only had one  Stationer's shop (purveyor of books, hand writing and calligraphy supplies, etc.) that I knew of that sold fountain pens and they were a Mabie Todd dealer. They may have carried other makes of fountain pens, but I don't recall any displays or advertisements. I remember that they had some great display ads for Swan pens and inks that really captured my eye and made me want to own a Swan pen.

It was all I could do to scrape up enough spending money to buy my own writing supplies (post 1938) for money was scarce in my family during the 1930s and so a new fountain pen was out of the question. But I had one uncle, a businessman of higher social standing than us, who owned a couple of (Swan) fountain pens. Well, he gave me one of his old pens (he had bought a new American made Parker Vacuumatic -- a real "snazzy" and much in demand fountain pen at that time) -- the first fountain pen  I ever owned. I don't remember the date of it's manufacture or the model designation, but I do remember it was black and a lever filler with one of those wonderful  Swan #2 flexible nibs. I don't recall exactly when I got that pen, but I believe it was just before the outbreak of WW2 in 1939 and that started my love affair with (especially black) Swan fountain pens.

New fountain pens were impossible to find for sale in shops in northern England during WW2 but I did manage to purchase two other used pre-war manufacture (black) fountain pens (I don't remember any specific details about them). The Mabie Todd manufacturing facilities were heavily damaged during WW2 air raids and their immediate post-war production was a trickle. I didn't like the design and appearance of those post-war 35 shilling Swan pens (I thought their quality had declined significantly) and I never did buy one new. Come to think of it, I have never bought a new Swan pen in a shop.

I go back a long time with Swan fountain pens and I love them -- especially if they are black with gold trim which I think is extremely elegant. All of the rubber filler sacs on my Swan fountain pens have long ago disintegrated, so they are now just nostalgic artifacts for me that I keep on my writing table.

James

And just to lighten things up, courtesy of the wonderful, zany, Groucho Marx:

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:07:39 PM by James P »

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »

I hope I may be allowed to deposit my tuppence worth here, since I have strong views on this ...........

Excellent post Andy.

James

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »
Thank you for that post James: very interesting, and you have impeccable taste in fountain pens.  Thought you might like to see this one, a 1929 black chased hard rubber Blackbird with a highly flexible #2 size nib.  In truth it's not my favourite writer (that's another ebonite flat-top of similar vintage), but it's one of the prettiest.

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Thank you for that post James: very interesting, and you have impeccable taste in fountain pens.  Thought you might like to see this one, a 1929 black chased hard rubber Blackbird with a highly flexible #2 size nib.  In truth it's not my favourite writer (that's another ebonite flat-top of similar vintage), but it's one of the prettiest.

Thank you in turn Andy. I have never owned a  Mabie Todd Blackbird but I have always admired them -- yours is a superb example.

Here are my Swans:

Leverless (top) and lever-fill (bottom) pens from the early 1930s
Chased hard rubber pen body
Leverless pen with silver plated clip and decorative cap band
Lever-fill pen with gold plated clip, fill lever and decorative cap band

Leverless (top) and lever-fill (bottom) pens from the late 1930s
Leverless pen with gold plated clip and decorative cap bands
Lever-fill pen with gold plated clip, fill lever and decorative cap bands

I got this as a present -- In my opinion not in the same league as the pre-war Swans:

Post WW2 production "thirty five shilling" pen
"Torpedo" design
Leverless pen with gold plated clip and decorative cap bands

James

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »

James

How do you do those flourished capital?  The S is just amazing!

Thanks JP

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 05:04:13 AM »
Those are splendid pens James, and in lovely condition.  I particularly like the chased ones of course - ebonite must surely be the ideal material for pen barrels.  The 35/- pen resembles a post-war Waterman which I don't use as often as I ought, come to think of it.

I have three Swans: an SM112, a 6141 and a 6142, all with #1 nibs.  The former is a tiny little thing and doesn't look at all special; I bought it as a companion for a similarly sized Waterman 351V and they're both favourite writers.  The two 61**s are glitzy celluloid and the photos don't do them justice.  The green 6141 was either my first or second vintage pen, and when the blue one appeared at Goodwriters a few years later I just assumed it had my name on it, as it were.  As it turned out the nib is a semi-flex needlepoint, so I was lucky there.

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 12:37:12 PM »
.......... I have three Swans: an SM112, a 6141 and a 6142, all with #1 nibs.  The former is a tiny little thing and doesn't look at all special; I bought it as a companion for a similarly sized Waterman 351V and they're both favourite writers.  The two 61**s are glitzy celluloid and the photos don't do them justice.  The green 6141 was either my first or second vintage pen, and when the blue one appeared at Goodwriters a few years later I just assumed it had my name on it, as it were.  As it turned out the nib is a semi-flex needlepoint, so I was lucky there.

They are lovely, Andy, thank you for posting the pictures.  I forgot to post a picture of the exquisite diminutive Lady Swan lapis lazuli ring top I bought for my late mother many years ago. Like yours, the photo doesn't do this pen justice -- a hand held snapshot taken with my smartphone:

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »
............... How do you do those flourished capital?  The S is just amazing! ...............
Thank you InkyFingers. I will be glad to illustrate/explain that for you. Let me ponder the best way to do it.

James
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:52:45 PM by James P »

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 01:15:16 PM »
A Rotring Art pen potpourri:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:19:34 PM by James P »

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
I love the Mabie Todd's as well. I almost bought a Blackbird this past weekend, but ended up with an early Waterman 52 with a wonderfully smooth flexible nib and one I had one of those Parker's you mentioned restored.

You do know that you can have the rubber sacs replaced and the pen put back to perfect working condition. You could then continue to use them for another 10-20 years until the sacs need replacement again, and then repeat ad infinitum.

Here's the Waterman which is older than your MT's, and the rather modest silver Vacuumatic which dates to the 1st quarter of 1947. It is still very much a war-time pen as the clip and ring are a more modest thin nickle-plated. The the gold nib is beautifully smooth.

And obviously this paper cannot handle the amount of ink the Waterman puts out.

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
.......... You do know that you can have the rubber sacs replaced and the pen put back to perfect working condition. You could then continue to use them for another 10-20 years until the sacs need replacement again, and then repeat ad infinitum ...........

Thank you AAAndrew. Yes I did know that, but I only want to keep these pens as nostalgic (and non-functioning) mementos for but a little while.  But I did appreciate your optimistic outlook for our longevity together should I chose to restore them. Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the end of this year before I am finitum, AAAndrew.  :)

James
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:07:15 AM by James P »

Offline James P

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »
............... How do you do those flourished capital?  The S is just amazing! ...............
Thank you InkyFingers. I will be glad to illustrate/explain that for you. Let me ponder the best way to do it.

James

Just receivd my Masters of the Italics book and Three Classics of Italics.

For anyone learning Italics.. i STRONGLY advice on getting the one and only book, a must have... Masters of the Italics.

Thanks JP for the introduction.

Excellent, InkyFingers -- very timely.

I will be referencing ..............

Masters of the Italic Letter
Twenty-Two Exemplars from the Sixteenth Century
by Kathryn A. Atkins, David R. Godine, Publisher Inc., Boston, Massachusetts

............... quite often, especially The Letter Study section starting on page 103, as I explain and illustrate how I render my swashed/flourished  Majuscules Letterforms, starting tomorrow in the BROAD EDGE PEN CALLIGRAPHY Category. Keep checking there.

James

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:28:16 PM by James P »