Author Topic: How to reduce or eliminate shaky hand?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
Re: How to reduce or eliminate shaky hand?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
I'm going to start blaming my shaky hairlines on the earthquakes we're having here.  At least 13 this week!!  They're all between 2.0 and 3.6 on the Richter scale, but they do rattle my housea little bit!  Probably not enough to shake my handwriting, but who's keeping track?  Hahaha!   ;)
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Speed is absolutely essential for me to prevent shaky lines. I go slowly when trying to learn the letterform but once I have it, I speed up. Using a little speed and my whole shoulder, rather than from the hand, I get much smoother lines.

Also, listening to music is almost a necessity for me. And I have to really be "feeling it"! It gives such better energy to my letters. Without it, I feel flat and I think my letters reflect that.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline KayleenO

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »
I will either meditate or do yoga for at least 10 minutes before I sit down to write. I need to relax and clear my mind otherwise I'm just writing letters/words without focus and care..
I don't have a completely steady hand still...but time and getting into the right mindset will give you the control you're after.

Offline KayleenO

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

Also, listening to music is almost a necessity for me. And I have to really be "feeling it"! It gives such better energy to my letters. Without it, I feel flat and I think my letters reflect that.

I second the music thing..it supplies just enough distraction that you aren't over-thinking your writing.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:41 PM »
Great thread with helpful suggestions from everyone's unique take. I actually incorporate a lot, except the wine. I will give that a try.

Last two thing,
1. Make sure your arm is moving free and clear of your desk. You should not be resting your arm on the desk. I had to buy a seat cushion to help. My chair that wasn't tall enough.

2. Running ovals. Clockwise to the right and then to the left. Counterclockwise to the right and then to the left. Clockwise ovals down and then up. Counterclockwise ovals down and up. Big to small and small to big. Make sure you are gliding with your fingers across the paper, not resting.

This has helped me, but I do have shaky hands from my Celiac disease.