Author Topic: working on italic variations, need suggestions  (Read 1479 times)

Offline dailyblossoms

• View Profile
    • instagram
working on italic variations, need suggestions
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
Hello everyone.
In the last year I definitely worked a lot on my spencerian, but from time to time I try to study and refresh my italic. Since i will attend a workshop on italic variation in september i'm trying to work a little on it.
After several sheet I came up with this.
Do you have any tips for me?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: working on italic variations, need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »
I can't critique your italic as I haven't learnt it yet. All I can say is that even if it's not right as 'italic', it makes for an interesting and pleasing look!
Star

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
In my opinion, the best preparation for your workshop would be to study and practice formal Italic. This will refresh your understanding of the basic forms and you will be able to incorporate the 'essence' of the hand in your work.

I find your writing sample attractive but it does look a bit forced in places - I am sure you can see that too. There are some words that flow beautifully though e.g. the word 'mare'.

There are some fine examples of Italic handwriting samples on this page: http://www.italic-handwriting.org/exemplars.

Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline dailyblossoms

• View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »
In my opinion, the best preparation for your workshop would be to study and practice formal Italic. This will refresh your understanding of the basic forms and you will be able to incorporate the 'essence' of the hand in your work.

I find your writing sample attractive but it does look a bit forced in places - I am sure you can see that too. There are some words that flow beautifully though e.g. the word 'mare'.

There are some fine examples of Italic handwriting samples on this page: http://www.italic-handwriting.org/exemplars.

Salman

Thank you. I should indeed practice more basic Italic, I still have to find the time for it (I love italic but feel more confident with pointed pen hands so I leave it behind most of the times :( )
Will look forward to it.