Author Topic: Tressers Gesso Recipe  (Read 584 times)

Offline brose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Tressers Gesso Recipe
« on: November 27, 2023, 09:25:23 AM »
I have run across several places that mention Tressers gesso as a great modernized gesso recipe. Unfortunately, Jerry Tresser passed away in Nov. 2022 and it is no longer available. As a trained bench chemist I have the itch to attempt to reproduce this since it is no longer available. Does anyone know if Jerry Tressers gesso recipe is known or is a secret that left with him?
I am just starting my gold leaf gilding adventure and will start playing around with Kolner Instacoll this week.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Tressers Gesso Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 07:20:19 PM »
Oh my goodness, I did not know that Jerry passed away. So sad.  :'(

I have some of his gesso but I don’t know about the recipe. This might be a good question for the Cyberscribes group on Facebook.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline brose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 11:53:08 AM »
I have tracked down Jerry Tressers modern recipe that replaces lead carbonate with titanium dioxide on CyberScribes in a couple of posts with an addendum. I am happy it seems this recipe is not lost.

Since it is no longer available for purchase, if anyone is interested in trying some of my Tressers TiO2 gesso let me know. I also sort of want to know if the recipe behaves the same as the stuff he sold. I am quite new to gilding and I don't really have much of a hands on reference. Jerry Tresser noted that the titanium dioxide recipe needs to be kept in liquid form, as it does not reconstitute well from a solid.

I am currently testing it to see how it turns out on paper.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:24:27 PM by brose »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »
Thank you very much for doing the research and letting us know. Good luck with it and we look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram