Author Topic: Parlez-vous Française?  (Read 962 times)

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Parlez-vous Française?
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »

Offline JohnK

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parlez-vous Française?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »
Hi @InkyFingers.  I was in Paris two weeks ago.  I have T-Mobile here in the US, and it worked well in Paris.  I think it is because it uses a GSM network, which is common in Europe.  I have friends with Verizon in the US, and they actually bought a French plan SIM card for their phone for the best calling there.  If you are primarily texting, you can check out WhatsApp.  That is a texting app that uses wireless internet to receive and send text messages, so you don't have to go through your phone connection, you just have to have an internet connection.
Anyway, please understand that I am not an expert, but I hope this will be somewhat helpful.

As for restaurants, it's France, so almost all are good!

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:02:43 AM »
thanks @JohnK.  I have been looking at it.  narrowed to Orange Holiday pack. Syma and Free.

any shops i should visit or bring to Paris?

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
You've probably already been and gone, but in case you haven't gone yet, when my husband and I went to southern France a few years back, we brought simple unlocked phones (bought off Amazon) and bought SIM cards when we got there (we were with Verizon and our phones wouldn't work there).  We weren't looking to have a smart phone or data plan, though, so that option was pretty cheap.

Can't recommend shops since it's been many years since I went to Paris, but my recommendation is to bring your very best spoken French and use it as much as possible, even if it makes you nervous.  It starts you off on the right foot if you try to speak French first thing when you meet someone.  Of course, my French is so appalling that whoever I talk to answers in English (I think it may actually be painful for them to hear me speak French) which doesn't help me improve my French much, but they do seem to appreciate that I made the effort.  I've heard people say that the French refuse to speak English to tourists, but I've never had that happen unless they actually don't speak English (I have had people claim not to speak English but then recant after I try to speak French to them--yes, my French really is that bad).
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram