Author Topic: Ink Academy's IndieGoGo campaign  (Read 9180 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Ink Academy's IndieGoGo campaign
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »

Here's where I'm ending this: if anyone has a question about anything at all, please ask Suzie. My plea is more for those who feel a stronger emotional response (as "being concerned", or "being worried"). These emotions are real and we want to address them: there is truly something that triggered them. I'd like to invite anyone with a similar reaction to reach out to Suzie and share with her what worry there is, and see firsthand if you are right to be worried, or if it was all just a misconception. Then share it to the world.

God only know how much misinformation is flying around in the world (in general) nowadays. Lots of the most baseless content ends up being believed by enormous numbers of people--and believed blindly without "go to the source" confirmation. Let's try not to add to it, and let us all enjoy this wonderful world of calligraphy with what we all strive to create more elegantly: more beautiful communication.

cheers,

Serge (the hubby)
Thank you Serge, for taking the time to make this post, particularly for inviting us to further inquire regarding areas of concern or confusion.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »

It's not rocket science - why not just teach yourself, and save a lot of money.
That certainly is a legitimate approach, as you have so ably shown. There will be some that choose that option as well and I wish them the very best. Nor will I contend or try to convince anyone that having a structured program and live teachers is the best way to go for everyone. It's just a different approach with different costs and benefits.

Speaking personally, I have attempted to learn several other things which are not rocket science--a new language, a new musical instrument, for example--and found for me that having a teacher and a structured program makes for faster progress. This may not be of importance for those who have many years ahead in which to hone their skills, or for whom a modest degree of accomplishment is sufficient, but I was already past 60 when I began this endeavour five years ago, and who knows how many years are left that progress can be made?

There is also the collegial aspect of a program. It is more fun to struggle together and share the joy than alone (again, for me). That can't be bought.

That said, the money is well spent if course or teacher helps me get to where I want to be, or at least hastens my progress.

Offline s.hemprich

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
I’ve been sitting on my hands for a few days wondering if I should contribute something to this discussion. I’m not someone who likes to make a row and get in the middle of things but like some others, I’m surprised and don’t understand the vitriol exhibited towards this Indiegogo campaign. So I’d like to add something from the point of view of someone who has no intention of ever becoming a professional calligrapher and a stay-at-home mom who discovered calligraphy less than 2 years ago.

I feel so lucky to live close enough to Berkeley to have been able to take some of the classes Suzie has offered at Ink.Academy. However, with 3 kids at home who have soccer games, birthday parties, etc. on the weekends and a husband who works 2 weekends a month, it’s not easy to leave them for an entire weekend to attend classes even though they are only an hour away. I am constantly searching for online courses because the timing and location becomes flexible and that’s what I need at this time of my life. I don’t think I’m the only one in this situation. I’ve seen many posts on instagram of moms who practice calligraphy while their children are taking naps. At the same time, I want to not just learn calligraphy but learn it well. I also don't think I'm unique in this. Similar to Suzie, what’s been lacking for me is a structured path of progression which not only includes instruction but personal feedback from professionals who have many years of experience to offer. I guess I’m the kind of person who likes structure and feedback.

So I for one am excited about the fact that Suzie is creating something that will be available to people in circumstances similar to mine. It takes a courageous and passionate person to build something like this from the ground up. Not only that, Suzie is trying to promote calligraphy in a way that seeks to preserve its integrity. What's wrong with that? How lucky we are to have this channel of access become available!

Sandy

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

The problem with hype, press releases, self promotion &c. is that they produce a situation where many, but not all, people know what is being said isn't strictly truthful but you may be expected to dance around that and be unable to directly address it or else be accused of being negative, jealous &c. and the people who don't realize the hype and self-promotion is hype and self-promotion are set up for disappointment down the road if/when they do realise it.
Well said.
I been taken in on more than one occasion by hype and misrepresentation.
I'm in the fortunate position to have known Michael Sull for quite a while and I believe this program to be legitimate. Keep in mind, though, the progress that a student makes and his/her level of skill at the end of the program, is mostly in the hands of the student himself. Everyone is not going to be the next Lupfer, but each has the possibility to reaching a high skill level, I would guess.

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
I too am excited about this endeavor.  Being able to have continual feedback on my work would be amazing.  It is easy after a two-day workshop to forget all the techniques and then I question whether I am doing it correctly or am I cultivating bad habits that I will have to unlearn at some time in the future.  After reading quite a bit of history on American penmanship, I found myself wishing that we still had a Zanerian College.  This sounds like it will be similar in nature, only I can do it from the comfort of my own home.    Penman in days gone by would move across country in order to learn from the Masters of their day and age - this will allow the Masters of our day to come into our homes.  What a way to use technology to teach a historical art form. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Fair point @Brush My Fennec  in any circumstance.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
By the way, in America, ALL teachers at a collegiate level can appropriately be referred to as professors. Assistants or otherwise are often called professor - it's the difference between a salutation, title, and role!

Their role is a professor even if their title is Assistant. The salutation (in a written letter) would be different from what is spoken verbally.

The best graphic design class I ever took (at Maine College of Art) was taught by a non-titled professor but was a professional graphic design artist. We called her Professor every day.  ;)

But if you have a professor who has a PhD - from my experience, most Prefer Dr.

Just saying.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
Thanks @Nickkih I agree about giving the benefit of the doubt!  ;)

I would like to point out though that Flourish and Ink.Academy are worlds' apart. But you are completely right in that Ink.Academy will bring knowledge and a much needed depth to better the craft.

And if I am being honest, I believe things like free tutorials and calligraphy summits have contributed to the "everything should be free or cheap" mentality we see today. When I started Flourish there really wasn't this huge availability of calligraphy information available on the web yet. Now we are inundated with free tutorials, niche communities, promotional groups, etc.

And while I believed calligraphy was on the brink of entering mainstream, I did not anticipate the floodgates that opened, seemingly simultaneously around the world in terms of the tipping point of calligraphy.

On a similar note, if but slightly off topic, there was a lot of negativity and buzzing behind my back when I started Flourish as well. Lots of 'she will ruin people's businesses' and 'what does she think she's doing.' If anything, I think the reverse was true - Flourish has sent a lot of business to a lot of people/places in more ways than one.

So hang in there Suzie - time solves all.  ;)

I think the benefit of the doubt should be given in this situation, actually in every situation imo. You can't  assume that they purposely hyped or attempted to mislead. Concider for a moment that perhapes the person whom your talking about maybe just maybe he was just promoted to professor - and the university hasn't updated his title on the website? Why not ask Suzie or the professor in question? Why assume it's pure marketing? Again, I see the Ink Academy as such a positive in a "starving for knowledge" calligraphy community. The flourish forum became such a success because of that very thing, lovers of letters looking for knowledge to better their craft either for personal goals or professional ones. Ink academy in my view is the same breath of fresh air as The flourish forum.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:13:50 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
Knowing how dedicated Suzie is, how earnestly she wants to help calligraphers succeed, and how selfless she is during her pursuit of this, I truly am saddened by the negativity being thrown her way.  Reading comments that infer that this is a money grab, or that it's going to be a failure makes me feel like I'm watching some kid's milk get knocked out of his hand at lunch.  I've had the pleasure of getting to know Suzie personally over the past few years (and take an Ink Academy class), know her to be extremely genuine and kind, and believe me- that twinkle in her eyes isn't from dollar signs.  It's from a deep excitement to bring something to the table that people WANT and have been looking for for years (no, really, people want this). 

As for promotion- why should we expect Ink Academy to do this without promotion?  How would people find out about it?  Personally, I wish other programs and conferences would promote themselves more- I can't tell you how often I've found out about something after the fact, and be disappointed I've missed a wonderful learning opportunity.  And if people get excited about Ink Academy's programs, good- they can join in and enjoy and benefit from all that the teachers have to offer.  If they don't get excited about it and would rather continue to learn from free YouTube videos and books, that's great too.  But, there are a lot of people who want more than that, and having access to multiple learning opportunities is a wonderful thing.  I don't think it's right to tell everyone to stay home, save their money, and do it on their own.  We should all be able to recognize that just because we do one thing one way, doesn't mean it's right for the masses.

My final thought (since I'm cutting myself off before I write paragraphs more): Serge is awesome, too.  Thank you both for all that you are doing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:11:15 AM by Bianca M »

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
And if I am being honest, I believe things like free tutorials and calligraphy summits have contributed to the "everything should be free" mentality we see today. When I started Flourish there really wasn't this huge availability of calligraphy information available on the web yet. Now we are inundated with free tutorials, niche communities, promotional groups, etc.

And while I believed calligraphy was on the brink of entering mainstream, I did not anticipate the floodgates that opened, seemingly simultaneously around the world in terms of the tipping point of calligraphy.

On a similar note, if but slightly off topic, there was a lot of negativity and buzzing behind my back when I started Flourish as well. Lots of 'she will ruin people's businesses' and 'what does she think she's doing.' If anything, I think the reverse was true - Flourish has sent a lot of business to a lot of people/places in more ways than one.

So hang in there Suzie - time solves all.  ;)

Such good points Erica!  And how lucky and grateful we are that you carried on!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:09:21 PM by Bianca M »

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
@Erica McPhee Totally agree!  ;)

Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
I've supported it.  So it may not be the idealised perfect flawless school - well, what is?  As a community I think we tend to be sceptical and distrustful of anything new, or any threat to our 'traditional' ways ... But the world is changing.  Those of us who learn well alone and without help are very welcome to keep doing so - nobody is forcing us to open our pockets or sign up for Skype lessons.  But I'd love to see this school get off the ground and flourish (ha ha) and I'm happy to throw some of my hard-won cash at it.    So ... that's my $0.02!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
But I'd love to see this school get off the ground and flourish (ha ha) and I'm happy to throw some of my hard-won cash at it.    So ... that's my $0.02!
Great attitude. It's a heavy lift to get a school off the ground. Even if one is not going to participate in the classes initially, perhaps some time in the future. And to get to the future, support is needed in the beginning when start up costs are high and revenues are low.