Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 623 times)

Offline IndieCalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Hello, Sasha from Central Ohio here.  I fell in love with handwriting when I saw a copy of the Declaration of Independence in a grade school textbook.  I’m sure it’s a common story, but its mine as well  :D I’ve always enjoyed handwriting and nearly always receive compliments when someone sees my writing. Aside from a short class in high school I’ve never formally studied calligraphy.  Last August I took a day long workshop at the local calligraphy guild and for Christmas I received Eleanor Winter’s Mastering Copperplate.  I’m so excited to begin a more formal study and see where this goes.  I also enjoy photography and would like to start exploring watercolor.

Offline Ashk

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:39:39 AM »
Hey hi Sasha . Welcome to the forum , I am to new here , may be a couple of weeks , it's good to be here and a great learning experience. I wish u good luck for Ur work , would love to see Ur work soon .

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
@IndieCalligraphy Hi, Sasha!  I taught myself calligraphy using Eleanor Winter's book!  I used it like a text book & just went through it from front to back.  You absolutely can learn Copperplate using that book!  Additionally, there are YouTube videos that really helped me with "twicksy" letters!

Welcome to the Forum!

Janis

Offline Foxmorepatty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
Hi!  I am a newbie as well.  Check out Salman’s SMK tutorial.  He is so kind and helpful.  My MIL lives in Athens, Oh and my BIL in Columbus.  I recommend ThePostmanKnocked blog.  She covers watercolor and more modern calligraphy, and is a font of great information. Have fun!

Offline IndieCalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome  :) I've started watching the tutorials here and I'm bowled over by the wealth of information and the generosity of knowledge.  This is truly a special place :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
A late welcome to you Sasha! I'm glad you found the tutorials and are putting them to good use!  ;D I hope to see some of your handwriting soon!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »