Author Topic: Tachikawa G nib  (Read 14037 times)

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
Tachikawa G nib
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
So, for the fans of the Nikko G and Zebra G nibs-- have any of you tried the Tachikawa nib yet?  I just had to put in an order at Paper and Ink Arts for walnut ink and Leonardt Principal EFs, and I noticed this new nib in the G series.  Their blurb says it's the most flexible of the three G nibs. 

I should have it soon.  I'm kind of excited to try it!  Those G nibs are soooo smooth (I've never had the chance to try any of the vintage nibs like the Musselman (sp?) that are supposed to be very smooth while still being very sharp and flexible-- I've been struggling with the Principal EF and it's mighty scratchy, I have to say).  How cool would it be if some modern nib maker has figured out how to make a really flexible, really fine-line nib that's actually smooth? 

So, anybody?  I'll report back with my findings!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:33:02 AM by FrenchBlue Joy »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Tachikawa G nib
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »
I just ordered some recently as well. Can't wait to try!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
I took a workshop this past August and the teacher used Tachikawa G nibs.  It is very good nib!
It is more flexible than the other G's, but still sturdy.  I think you'll like them. 

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
OOooooh thanks Roseann! I can't wait!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
LOVE LOVE the Tach G nib!  It's very responsive & flexible enough for me & I think I have a heavier hand than most.  My Fav G's are:  Tachikawa, Zebra then Nikko.  Jennifer at Paper Ink Arts told me that they also have a Tachikawa T600, which is new & has that little bit of a spoon shape, not unlike Hiro 41.  Will be trying that soon. 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline vince

• View Profile
    • Vtcreative
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggest Joy! Looking forward to hear about the result.

Edit: and thanks Marcia Aronow for the feedback, I've read too fast I missed your post =)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:26:52 PM by vince »
Vincent Tantardini, UI/UX designer. I love letters.
http://dribbble.com/vt
http://instagram.com/vtantardini

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
Thanks for that tip Marcia! I will have to order some!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
Hi All - So I have the G nikko, the G zebra and the G Tachikawa and out of all three the Zebra G works the best and (for me) is more flexible of the three. But I'm eager to see what others experience. I have a heavy hand and I'm new to pointed pen calligraphy...
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »
I am sorry to say I do not like them. Once i dip them  i have to write on a scratch paper to get them started, every time. I was told it probably had oil on it it but i have used all the methods....flame, toothpaste, saliva and still have the problem. My ink also puddles up on the back of the nib like a lump. Everyone I have tried. Maybe you will have better luck or have had better luck if you have gotten them already.  None of my Leonardt nibs do this. I have ordered some principle  nibs and am super excited to get them with my new blackwell holder. I know alot of you do not like the principle but maybe I will. To each its on right.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
Hmm...well, that is a bummer! I should get mine in the next couple days. I'll let you know what I think!  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »
Please do, because  i am getting so bummed from this. When i start my beginning leadin up stroke it will not work. I have to do a down stroke on a scrap paper. And keep in mind I have to do this everytime i dip. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:16:54 AM by Brad franklin »

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »
Okay this is my experience. So I've noticed that my mood changes as so do my nibs. Also the more practice I do the more different I am at what I enjoy writing with than I did a month ago. So I used to love the zebra g like I said above. In fact I LOVED IT. I wasn't the greatest fan of the Nikko or the tachikawa. A month later I loved the tachikawa. And now my favorite is the Hunt 101, the principle but my multi purpose favorite is the nikko. So my theory is as we progress in our practice and progress we change the nibs we love working with. What I also found is when a nib is annoying me. I clean it and put it away for awhile. Otherwise I will get too frustrated and it will keep me from doing what I love - writing calligraphy and getting better at it. So maybe Brad just tuck it away for a bit and come back to it later. Or maybe that nib is no good. If you have another one prepare it and try or change the holder it's in if you can. FYI I've also recently found that my nib changes the way it writes with the holder I use. I've bought a dozen holders and last month the one I used and was my fav is not my favorite right now. Am I the only one that goes through this, or is this something beginners go through?

Anyway not sure if this helps but thought it couldn't hurt to share my experience. :-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:39:40 AM by Nickkih »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
My experience too, Nickki. :) I used to be a strictly G-nib fan, I think I was more heavy-handed when I first started. I didn't like the Brause EF66 or any of the Hunt nibs at all, but now those are my go-to nibs!

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »
Ya in the last hour i have changed nibs maybe 4 times. I have changed holders 3 times. I have a cheap plastic only holder so that one did not help. The other is a straight holder. I do practice with that when i get frustrated with my ziller oblique. I have a buddy blackwell holder on the way , hopefully will get it this week, then i can switch off to that one. My writing has seemed to improve over the last few weeks and now it seems to be getting worst and i am getting angry. Maybe i need to step back all together for a few days. I dont know.   

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:16:14 AM »
That happened to me a week ago. I got so frustrated I was ready to throw it all away (I would never)!!

I would just step away for night. And my belief is that you are growing with your practice - so just give it a day. Then go back to it with your favorite paper, a nip that you know is working well and just write.
I feel your frustration Brad. I wrote a post in open discussions called step way from your work station. Go check it ou. I thought I was gonna lose my mind that day. So your not alone just means your growing and progressing in your skill. Growing pains for calligraphers. Lol