Author Topic: Arabic Powder  (Read 444 times)

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Arabic Powder
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »
My journey with penmanship is full of amazing people on this forum.

Here's a small tip bit:

Use gum of Arabic.  I have shied away from using gum of Arabic for the longest time.   I came from the fountain pen world, and uses ink designed for fountain pen use.  For pointed pen, it worked well.  FP inks worked fine with most nib and paper.  However, it tends to feather and bleed thru.  That is until recently, I added Arabic powder.

I have sampled with just copy paper, journals etc.... your ordinary paper.  It worked very well.  On premium papers will show better quality.

However, I have encountered too much hard start.   My presumption is the nib is worn and also maybe too much Arabic powder was added.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:25:19 PM by InkyFingers »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Arabic Powder
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »
I have also been surprised when I have used it how nice and fluid the ink becomes. Thanks!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:40:17 PM »
@InkyFingers - How do you like the powder?  Does it dissolve easily?  I use the liquid gum arabic for mixing with fountain pen inks, because they mix easily in tiny jars.  I have an embarrassing number of dinky dips for the purpose.  The fountain pen inks with shimmer &/or sheen &/or shading properties produce some fantastic effects with a really wide broad edge pen or an automatic pen, but I find they do much better with a bit of gum arabic.

But I can't seem to get the ratio right for Herbin's Emeraude de Chivor, the world's most beautiful, worst behaved ink, and I'm wondering if the powder might work better...  (EdC, why can't I quit you?).

Thanks!
--yours, K

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
I have no experience with other products so I can't say.

I placed the gum of Arabic powder in an empty bottle of ink.  Powder was dissolved with warm distilled water.  A few drops of eucalyptus oil for fragrance.  I used a few drops at a time until the ink feels right.  However, at time I added water to dilute the concoction.

For me, it is trial and error as I do not keep account of each session.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:06:18 PM by InkyFingers »