Author Topic: "English Scroll"...anyone ever heard of a style called that?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
"English Scroll"...anyone ever heard of a style called that?
« on: January 24, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Helloooo lovely people!  I'm hoping I can pick your brilliant brains:

A client rejected my first proof for an envelope job saying that she wanted something that was more upright with less scroll...that her grandfather is a calligrapher and he recommended the style "English Scroll"...I don't know what that is!  English Roundhand, maybe?  SOS!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: "English Scroll"...anyone ever heard of a style called that?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Helloooo lovely people!  I'm hoping I can pick your brilliant brains:

A client rejected my first proof for an envelope job saying that she wanted something that was more upright with less scroll...that her grandfather is a calligrapher and he recommended the style "English Scroll"...I don't know what that is!  English Roundhand, maybe?  SOS!
@Elizabeth O.
Why not just ask the grandfather what he means? Perhaps send him an email with a scan of a English Roundhand exemplar and see if that's it.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
@AnasaziWrites
I agree with getting a sample. Clients who have something in mind need to do more than just describe it.
We are not mind readers and a verbal description like *less scroll* is ambiguous.
And what does the invitation look like?
Shouldn't the style on the envelope compliment the invitation?

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
I sent another proof and it was approved (thank goodness!)!  I think English Roundhand was the aim...I wish I had the grandfather's contact info - I was working through a stationer, so I actually don't even have the bride's contact info, haha!

I had a moment in the process where I was thinking...what if they meant to type "less scrawl!?!"   :o.  But, all turned out well!

Thank you @AnasaziWrites and @jeanwilson - y'all always have the soundest and best advice!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram