Author Topic: Help! Calligraphy over a watercolour background  (Read 4192 times)

Offline mandybuckley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Help! Calligraphy over a watercolour background
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:37 AM »
I'm hoping someone can help me with how to tackle my next (ambitious) project. I'd like to make up a  thank you note to put at each place setting at my wedding in October.

I have some beautiful smooth 600gsm watercolour card to use for the project and ideally I'd like to paint a watercolour background and then write over it using finetec golds (shimmery, shiny, sparkling perfection in a palette!). How does everyone write straight? Do you draw your pencil lines in and then erase them afterwards? Does that smudge or erase the watercolour? Or is there a secret calligraphers' way to do this?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Calligraphy over a watercolour background
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »
I'm hoping someone can help me with how to tackle my next (ambitious) project. I'd like to make up a  thank you note to put at each place setting at my wedding in October.

I have some beautiful smooth 600gsm watercolour card to use for the project and ideally I'd like to paint a watercolour background and then write over it using finetec golds (shimmery, shiny, sparkling perfection in a palette!). How does everyone write straight? Do you draw your pencil lines in and then erase them afterwards? Does that smudge or erase the watercolour? Or is there a secret calligraphers' way to do this?
You may find this thread of interest:
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3890.0

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:35:59 AM »
A lot of watercolor artists swear by the Prismacolor Magic Rub eraser and something like a 2B pencil will erase more easily.

Offline Jodi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
I use a light table.  You can just print guidelines on a computer and put them under your watercolor paper.  As long as you don't make your watercolor too dark, that will work great.

The other thing I do is spay at least one coat of a fixative over the watercolor before I try writing on it.  Otherwise I get a lot of "bleed".

The Ph. Martin iridescent inks work well on watercolor.

I've not had any luck with any erasers on watercolor.