Author Topic: Anyone ever said this to you?  (Read 15377 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Anyone ever said this to you?
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
I was showing my Father in Law who has been very successful in life, big home, nice cars and even a airplane my pointed pen and broad edge pen calligraphy, I value his opinion very much. He looked at it and said "mmm it looks nice but know what else can do that" I replied what? "He said a computer I just thought to myself WOW! But kept my mouth shut out of respect. Kinda hurt my little feelings a bit  :'(

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: Anyone ever said this to you?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:07 AM »
I respect him too.  But he obviously doesn't 'get it'. 
I'm so sorry.
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »
yeah, my own husband!
just remember, opinions are like a**holes...everyone has one.  and an opinion is just that, one person's point of view.  not the truth, not your truth, not the gospel, and certainly, no reflection of you.  an opinion is, in my "opinion", all about the person giving it, formed from their own experience, or lack thereof.
that's why i love this forum, to communicate with like -minded people whose "opinion" i value, since we are all into the same thing.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »
Some people enjoy the creative process, others do not.  My mother had the same opinion: "what can you do with that?"  I mentioned a few possible projects, and of course how to make some money doing it, and she was placated.  I wonder though if a man doing this hobby has a higher threshold to cross. 

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
Awe Brad don't take it to heart. Most people believe it's a dying art because of internet and electronics. Erica has proved with this forum that it's not. Over time he will be able to see the possibilities. 😊
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »
Since he appreciates the finer things in life, ask if given the choice, would he prefer a computer scanned and printed version of a Picasso or the real thing.....

Or hear the London Philharmonic Orchestra in Person or just a Mp3...

same concept....

In life I choose to pay attention to those who support what I choose to do, the others can go to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

One last thing, fonts are usually created from letters drawn on paper.....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:42:49 AM by YokePenCo »
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:45 AM »
Ouch!  :'( I have had that. I think I literally bristle when someone says, "Wow, that looks like a font!" I know it feels bad when someone we care about doesn't support us (and really that is what it boils down to) but usually it is because they don't understand.  Or, sadly, in some cases, they lack the depth to grasp the concept of what you are doing or they just don't have an appreciation for finer things or artistic expression. Or...

I know it doesn't help, but it is not a reflection of you but of them. Take heart, we all know your journey and share in your enthusiasm. And we admire your work and dedication.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jonathan Albarran

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »
Dude, my mother has the same opinion and yeah, it kinda hurts.
But, this kind of things, this details in life are what truly make it worthy.
Details like art, like love and maybe just a little smile from someone.
Calligraphy is not just writing, calligraphy is about feelings, about beauty in words, about the beauty that you have writen in your soul and your mind.
We have to keep it up if we want to become good, no matter what the others say. It's just as hard as every other thing in life, but some people just can't see the effort and the dedication that it requires.

Remember to practice, that is quite the key for getting good at anything.
And try not to be sad, I know it is hard when it comes from someone you love but, well, you have to build your own world. They choosed not to build theirs with calligraphy (in this case) but you did, and that's what matters. What you love to do.
J,

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
One last thing, I may have posted it before, but this is my favorite quote in regards to calligraphy.....

“Calligraphy may well be simply an artistic version of another form, that is the ideograms which make up the poem, but then not only does it reflect the character and temperament of the artist but . . . also betrays his heart rate, his breathing.”
― Sijie Dai, Once on a Moonless Night
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
I think we need to keep in mind that a computer cannot do calligraphy.  The expression is in the added details, not in the basic font.  I think this doesn't show up so much with beginners work because we struggle so much just to get the letter forms right.  Maybe show him some works of others that you find particularly inspiring. 

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
I'm sorry you got that reaction. I had similar comments about computers years ago, and I stupidly let it put me off of calligraphy until recently. Don't let anyone discourage you! I think those people don't appreciate the value of 'hand-crafted', although there is definitely a re-discovery of it -- just look at Etsy.

This is so true:
I think we need to keep in mind that a computer cannot do calligraphy.  The expression is in the added details, not in the basic font.  I think this doesn't show up so much with beginners work because we struggle so much just to get the letter forms right.

Sometimes I purposely try to add elements (flourishing, interlocking letters, etc.) that are hard to do on the computer, just so it's more apparent (to some people, at least) that this is a hand-crafted, custom piece of work, not some mass-produced, cookie-cutter item. (How's that for reverse snobbery? ;) )

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
I have to say though, there are some uber-talented typographers out there making some beautiful fonts that rival calligraphy. I love typography and calligraphy equally, and I know digital fonts will never replace hand-written calligraphy, but some are just... wow.

Arbordale: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/aerotype/arbordale/

Copperlove (by Giuseppe Salerno who is an amaaaazing calligrapher, known for the "Lettering vs. Calligraphy" battles):
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/resistenza/copperlove/

Erotica: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/argentina-lian-types/erotica/

Compendium: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/sudtipos/compendium/

Burques Script: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/sudtipos/burgues-script/

Now don't go and throw your pen & ink out the window, Brad - like Chris said, ask anyone if they prefer computer scanned and printed version of a Picasso vs. the real thing or listen to an MP3 of an orchestra vs. being there in person. There is a warmth and personality that a hand-written calligraphy piece has that no font can ever replicate. Some may never understand that, but we can't let that keep us from doing what we love.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
Well.. you know.. fonts really IS quite convenient, it is consistent and beautiful (which is what the masters strive for isn't it?) and fast.. and with the advent of typewriters and computers, no wonder it is now the de facto lettering. Everyone understands it, people don't have to wait 2 months to have a book page written out, there is endless variety and it essentially put traditional calligraphy out of the picture! As a graphic designer I am very thankful for fonts!

People think we calligraphers are trying to overtake fonts.. or trying to go backwards to the age of writing out books by hand, well duh of course not!!! Like your uncle, he cannot appreciate it because he is only seeing it from a business point of view, as if we're all about making money! Well.. it should be emphasized that many calligraphers are doing it for the process of achieving such scripts, we love the meditative aspect of achieving by hand what computers normally do.. it's about the journey for us and not purely about the final product.. it's like asking a portrait artist why bother painting when photography has been invented? Or asking why vintage car restorers bother preserving old cars when new, more efficient Ford Focuses has been invented? Or even asking why bother baking a cake at home when we can buy a Costco or grocery cake...

Another thing that we are 'selling' or should emphasize with calligraphy is that it's about the etiquette.. it's more proper and traditional to hand write an envelope. Sure there are modern brides using fun fonts for their invitations, but there is always the formal bride or formal events which require a hand written correspondence. When people found out about the White House Calligraphers and how much money they make, there was an uproar.. they interviewed people and many of them asked "Oh why not just use a computer font?" This shows just how careless and lack of etiquette people are these days.. imagine printing a computer font on a White House invitation to the Queen of England? If people don't understand such simple courtesy, no wonder they think that a font is enough for everything. Truly we are practicing an art from a lost era when politeness, etiquette and thoughtful care is still important.. it is lost on the rude, fast paced reality show watching people of today..

Whoa, sorry.. rant over.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
Really well said, Schin - rant away! ;D

I'd also like to say that I feel like as calligraphers/calligraphy students/enthusiasts, we are keeping the tradition alive and we are the ones to carry on the torch. I would hate to think that a hundred years from now, all the younger generations may not be able to read or write cursive or feel the "beauty of the word" as we experience it. That would be a real tragedy.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 04:26:48 AM »
Love all your answers … happened also to me, but more in the sense of "What, you didn't do that with the computer?!" (Ok, people I talk to know I am a graphic designer and work a lot on the computer). Also a friend to whom I sent a very flourished christmas envelope had to convince her whole family that it wasn't printed (where you'd get a font with so many crazy swashes and alternates I don't know :D). And as Linda and others said, all brush and scripts fonts originate from drawn or written forms, something many people don't seem to be aware of.

The response from professional designers is usually different. As there seems to be a certain kind of tiredness of the overly perfect, digitally refined designs of the last decade, many people say "Oh, that's a sensible extension of your creative portfolio!".

So, again: don't let yourself get discouraged by the opinions even of persons whom you admire / respect in other aspects of life!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram