Author Topic: Slow  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Denise R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Slow
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
The forum is kind of slow today :(

Tomorrow I'll be practicing, practicing, practicing ~ thanks in part to the excellent practice tips and inspiration I've found here. When I allow myself time to check in, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised with tons of new posts to feed my new addiction, the place where people talk about all things calligraphy.

It would be especially exciting if there were new posts on the Spencerian board. I think somewhere in the range of 30-50 new threads would be nice! It seems that Spencerian is the least busy area here, but I've enjoyed every single thing I've read there. Now I'll try to do my part, ask some questions, get some pictures of my practice sheets up.

Do all new members sound this desperate for conversation, news and information about their obsession?

Denise

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Slow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:12:38 AM »
Denise, you're definitely not alone ... I refresh the "recent unread topics" page about four hundred times during every workday.  I just want to surround myself with calligraphy even at my desk at the office ... ;)

I want to master copperplate before I start Spencerian, but I think maybe I'll manage it in the next year or two.

But I think the broad pen forum is probably the slowest! I need to do my part, too ... but I'm so ashamed of my mediocre results ...

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
I know it's kinda slow isn't it.. I'm hooked! Let's encourage each other and post more stuff!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »
I think it's to do with what you want to see. I always want to see something new on the Broad Edge forum. And every forum is invariably quiet for about a day after I post something new on it, or so it seems.

We're not the biggest forum. I think the trick is to check less often, because then you see more stuff. That's what works for me.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »
Check ... less ... less often?

You mean ... not ... not check constantly?

Nope, you lost me.  I don't understand.

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:41:17 AM »
Okay, don't. You seem determined to beat me to the four yellow boxes anyway.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »
Hahah.  I do feel like I talk too much on here.  But then I guess I'm not forcing anyone to read ... I hope?

I think it's just that it's been a slow week at work ... my brain instantly turns to talking to people about ink and nibs and pens. I hardly ever get to enthuse about these things in real life.  I'm just too excitable ... I should calm down.

(never.)

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:56 AM »
Mhmm. I guess we're not real life then, thanks eh.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:04 AM »
Nope.  ;) No worries, you're all so lovely for imaginary people! 

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:24 AM »
So you're kooky enough to create this entire, elaborate construct in your head... The forum, Erica, all the sub forums and the various activity that it hosts every day... The people... Think about it.. It's like The Matrix..

we are conducting an experiment... You have been sleeping for the past two years... We do not know where in your dream this message will end up, but of you find it, please try to wake up...

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »
Hi Denise,
It does seem a bit quiet.  Maybe because school is winding down??  Or maybe everyone is practicing, what a lovely thought. 
I'm sure you'll find that the forum ebbs and flows.
But there's so much here to learn!  It's awesome!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
You are not alone Denise. And Moya I do exactly the same thing. And then I post and then I wait for more, more information to feed my obsession all things calligraphy. I love it!
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:09 AM »
I feel you guys. I log on and off like 20 times a day looking for fun topics to join in! Let's encourage people to be more active! I really love this forum! And seriously.. its.. a bit.. addicting. Hahaha! Oh, our love for calligraphy.
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline Denise R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Ha! I wasn't going to use the word addicting, but it absolutely is! I think Moya hit the nail on the head. We don't get to talk about this stuff in real life. At least conversationally. I talk to my husband and sons, but their eyes glaze over and they don't respond.

I'm going to try to post a couple times a day, and participate in different areas. There's so much to learn in each one!

Denise

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
It's a very real problem! Before I found the Flourish forum, I had to strap my friend to a chair and force her to listen to my discourses on nibs and inks.